Sunday, May 4, 2008

I survived (sort of)

Well students are officially done for the spring semester at PCC. Most of them will be returning for summer semester in a few weeks. I have survived my first year teaching full time nursing. It certainly wasn't without it's bumps or challenges (one or two that may not be over yet), but all in all it was a good year. I learned a lot and hopefully taught a lot to the students. I attended graduation on Friday and Pinning for our Canon City group on Saturday. Pinning for the Pueblo students is the 18th of this month. I am looking forward to teaching again this summer, and will be working on preparing for that course in the coming weeks. Grades are due Monday and faculty development are Tuesday and Wednesday of this next week. We'll also meet several times throughout the summer to discuss course development and make sure all three campuses are on the same page.

Gabe still has school until the end of the month. Kerry is teaching for another week and then I'll go back and we'll finish up the body (I think). They had a parent meeting the other night to discuss our options as a school. I think the parents who are there all the time are getting burnt out. They decided that we will try to fund raise like crazy this summer and attempt to go tuition free next year. They also talked about shortening the week, but lengthening the days. So, if we return Gabe will go Tues, Wed, and Thurs. from 0800 to 4pm. Kerry would have to volunteer one whole day a week, which probably wouldn't be a problem the first semester, but second semester would be harder with a new baby. Also, I'm not crazy about having a baby around a school full of kids during cold and flu season. We're going to pray about it and try to raise money this summer and see what happens. Our other option is for Kerry and I to homeschool the boys, or send Gabe to public school. We're not really even considering the last option at this point. Please pray that a clear answer will make itself known to us.

The boys are doing well otherwise. Enjoying the nicer weather outside these days. Otto has been going with Kerry when he teaches. Otto then spends his time in Gabe's classroom with the older kids and really likes it. I think he talks more than Gabe and has a little more attitude, but seems to do well.

Okay so prepare yourself for some news you're not going to believe...Ready?.... Kerry and I (Kerry!) sang in a mixed quartet this morning in church! He did a great job. We sang with another couple Ruth and Jude. Ruth teaches nursing at CSU-Pueblo (our "rival" not really, nursing school) and Jude teaches engineering there. I kind of agreed to sing before Kerry could object, but we sang Rock of Ages and it sounded really good. Kerry had to sing tenor, which was a little different for him, but he did good. :) So Mom Rosfeld, if you can find an alto and baritone to sing you might be able to convince him to sing once when we come home.

Kerry started his classes this week. Just one for this spring so he can work up in the mountains with Grandpa, but I think he'll enjoy the class. He's going to take 1 more class later on this summer and then will take 4 in fall.

Pastor Craig asked Kerry and I to go to a church leadership conference in St. Louis this summer. I wont' be able to go, but Kerry might in June. We'd have to pay for the flight and hotel (which could get expensive) and the church will pay for the cost of the registration fee. If we can afford it he'll probably go. It'd be a good conference for him to attend with Pastor Craig so we'll see. I'd like to go too, but I have to teach two out of the 3 days the conference is going on so it probably wouldn't work, unless I can find someone to sub for me. We'll see though, that would also double our cost to go.

I think that's about all that's been happening at our house the last week. We love you all and can't wait to see you at the end of the month.

--Erin

1 comment:

ASKNE said...

Music teacher/sister here....I volunteer to sing alto! That is so exciting!!! Sounds like things are going well. We can't wait to see you! Love you and miss you much!